News 31 May 2009

ASBK Rd Three Queensland Raceway Live Updates live updates for Queensland Raceway’s round three of the 2009 ASBK Championship. Updated at 4.00pm. will be posting updates directly after the Woodstock Bourbon Australian Superbike Championship and the Supersport races happen both today and tomorrow, updating the page with all the updates to go hand in hand with the live results available at All other class results are available on Computime as well.


Supersport Race One
Yamaha Racing Team’s defending champion Jamie Stauffer won the opening Supersport race of the weekend, winning by just 0.486 over YRT teammate Bryan Staring while third place was local man Ben Attard on the factory Kawasaki ZX-6R, almost 10 seconds in arrears of the boys in blue.

A thrilling finish to the race was had between returnee Shannon Johnson on the Motobet-sponsored Procon Racing Honda and Team Joe Rocket Suzuki’s Troy Herfoss in his first race at the circuit known as the paperclip.

Top privateer was a Cameron Keevers on the AARK Electrics supported Yamaha, narrowly edging out fellow Yamaha riders Christian Casella, Chris Quinn and Scott Charlton, and Anthony Quinn – making seven YZF-R6s in the top ten!

Superbike Race One

Motologic Racing Honda’s Glenn Allerton won a thrilling opening race of the weekend in the Superbike class, stretching to a comfortable victory of almost five seconds ahead of TJRS teammates Josh Waters and Shawn Giles, but the race wasn’t without its controversy.

YRT’s Dan Stauffer crashed out of second after four laps in the race, causing a red flag and re-start of the race as Waters had a slight lead on the pack – the accident also sent Allerton off the circuit but he returned safely. Stauffer was taken away by Racesafe, but it has been deemed as bruising and he’ll be back for race two.

Upon restart, Allerton made a massive pass into turn three under brakes on the opening lap to overtake both Kawasaki’s Kevin Curtain and Queensland favourite Robbie Bugden, taking the lead and never headed from there.

Waters was in contention until he ran off the circuit at turn three, putting in an incredible ride to make up enough time on track to finish second – using the time he had up his sleeve from the opening bout before the red flag to his advantage.

Allerton’s teammate Maxwell was another to run off the circuit, spoiling the chances of a Honda one-two finish as he was right up the front of the field before his off-track excursion.

Giles pipped Suzuki satellite rider Bugden on the last lap to claim third, with Robbie fourth and Curtain a marvellous fifth in the ZX-10R’s best performance in quite some time – featuring amongst the front-runners throughout the race.

Maxwell recovered for sixth ahead of Jamie Stauffer, who had earlier went and checked on the status of his brother on-track before he was transported to the Suzuki Racesafe Medical centre.

Supersport Race Two
Staring bounced back in race two to claim a comfortable victory of over a second from teammate Stauffer, but Stauffer took the overall victory for round 3a of the series thanks to his point for pole. Johnson was third this time to secure third overall for the round in a great performance.

The big news of this race was the turn two crash of Herfoss and Charlton, both riders okay in the fall but it was a massive fall that sent Herfoss’ GX-R cart wheeling through the gravel trap.

Casella got the better of Attard late in the race for fourth after Attard had a mishap mid-race while running in third, and Keevers was sixth from Jed Metcher, who had his best ride yet since moving up from the 125s, finishing a very respectable seventh in what was a great battle amongst the four.

Superbike next…

Allerton, Waters and Maxwell on the podium for race two

Allerton, Waters and Maxwell on the podium for race two

Superbike Race Two
Allerton took another comfortable victory in the second race of round 3a, winning over Waters by 2.114 seconds and Maxwell was third, but it was much closer than the end result throughout various points of the race.

Curtain scored the hole shot with a great start for Kawasaki but it was Allerton who went straight through in turn two, controlling the lead from there and keeping Waters at bay for the remainder of the race.

Waters was comfortable in second once past Curtain, while the field was spread out from there on in as Giles finished a solid fourth ahead of Bugden and Curtain, who dropped back to sixth by the race’s end.

A close battle was had between Jamie Stauffer and Craig Coxhell for seventh, finishing in that order after crossing the stripe together, and Dan Stauffer bounced back for ninth after fading in the later stages of the race.

Superbike Superpole

This just in – Curtain and Kawasaki take first ever ASBK Superpole! The ZX-10R rider put in a clean lap to take the top spot in a session that featured all Superbike riders rather than just the top eight as initially planned. Check back in the News Releases section for an update later tonight. Images are also coming.


Supersport Race One
A game of cat and mouse saw Staring win for YRT after fellow YRT rider Jamie Stauffer suffered machine problems late in the race, dropping from the lead with four laps to go and allowing Staring to go on to a very comfortable victory.

Stauffer held on to second despite his R6 surging and cutting out throughout the race over the last few laps, while third went to Johnson after an entertaining battle between him and Casella in a last corner tustle and run to the line.

Keevers had a great ride to be in that battle the entire time, while Quin, Metcher, Herfoss and Hern all were in the mix for sixth and in a close battle after Hern caught in the closing stages.

Attard was up near the front battling for the podium for much of the race until he ran off the circuit, eventually finishing 12th on his ZX-6R after the off-track excursion that ruined his chances for a top finish.

Race two coming up this afternoon – Superbike race one is next up.

Superbike Race One
Allerton took yet another calculated victory in what has been a clean sweep for the defending champion so far this weekend, but it didn’t come anywhere near as easy as yesterday’s outings.

Allerton made a manoeuvre on Waters with just one and a half laps to go under brakes in turn three, holding off Waters by 0.201 at the finish in a close finish that saw Waters out of the seat in the last corner.

The battle for third was just as intriguing with pole position holder Curtain scoring a brilliant podium for Kawasaki after a race-long battle with Bugden. Bugden made a move into turn three on the last lap but ran wide, allowing Curtain to sneak back through.

Bugden then had another look in the final turn but was out of the seat coming onto the finish straight, allowing Curtain to go on for third while Robbie was left smacking the tank in anger.

The top four were separated by just over three seconds at the finish, but the battle mid-race also included a six bike freight train as they tustled for position.

Fifth was Giles in another consistent performance, beating out Coxhell and Dan Stauffer, who was racing with a broken hand from his crash yesterday after x-rays showed the injury overnight.

Maxwell was eighth after running off the circuit while in the battle for the lead, while Jamie Stauffer had a difficult start before soldiering on to ninth position ahead of Trounson, who was a great improver over yesterday.

Henry was the final finisher, while Zac Davies crashed in turn four mid-race but was up and okay.

That race was much more exciting than yesterday’s battle, with race two set to be another thriller.

Supersport Race Two
Staring took victory to wrap up the weekend after he and Stauffer had another all-YRT battle for the win, with Stauffer having a solid run after riding his spare bike following his first race electrical problems.

Third was Attard, finally piecing it together for the entire race and finding himself back on the podium, while the battle for fourth was a massive one between Johnson, Herfoss, Odendaal and Metcher.

Odendaal’s race was spoiled with an off-track excursion with just two laps to go in a disappointing finish for the Queenslander.

Herfoss, saving a new set of tyres for the final race, got the position in an excellent ride, coming out best on the last lap, with Johnson next ahead of Metcher, the former 125GP rider continuing his great form.

Chris Quinn was seventh ahead of Keevers and Odendaal, rounding out the top 10 in a good effort to finish off his up and down weekend.

Staring won the round and extended his series lead, winning ahead of Stauffer and Johnson, while Herfoss was fourth overall for Sunday’s round 3b ahead of Metcher.

Superbike Race Two

Rain has delayed the start of race two – the riders completed their warm-up lap and the rain progressively got harder. The track is wet and there has been no wet practice so far this weekend.

Drama at the restart – Allerton’s second bike with wet tyres stopped leaving pit lane, and he is on slicks on his #1 bike on a wet track. The team had no option but to send him out – and it’s not raining – but the track is still very wet. Race started.

The rain never came back during the race and it was Maxwell who adapted best with zero practice in the wet conditions – the track beginning very wet and slightly drying out in sections as the race went on.

Maxwell won, with Waters second, and it was a tight race as both Maxwell and Waters were challenged by Curtain in the final podium position early in the race.

Fourth was Giles, setting good pace once the race got going, with Allerton an amazing fifth after passing Bugden on the last corner – handing him the overall for the round by just one point over Waters, allowing him to stretch out to a 10 point lead over Waters in the series.

Coxhell was seventh and top privateer, with Dan Stauffer eighth on the new R1 ahead of brother Jamie.

The big news was Allerton, who did a miraculous job to keep his CBR1000RR upright in the wet on slicks – with an off-track excursion at turn four his only foot wrong during the race.

Rounding out the top 10 was Davies, with the final finishers being Ben Henry and Tom Roache as Trounson crashed on the opening lap of the race into turn three, almost taking down teammate Allerton as his bike slid along the asphalt.

Allerton actually posted the fastest lap of the race in the end, which was an exceptional performance.