Fluid PR press release:
Chad Reed’s World/AMA Supercross title defence enters an intense final phase this weekend when Seattle’s Qwest Field hosts the fourteenth round of Monster Energy Supercross, an FIM World Championship.
With racers afforded the luxury of a week’s break from competition, this Saturday’s Main Event will see the top-of-the-table fight between Reed and his nemesis James Stewart continue.
Reed gained an early lead at the most recent showdown in Jacksonville, holding off Stewart for much of the race before settling into second.
However the 20-lap stoush was not without its controversy, with the leading racers involved in a dangerous mid-air clash as Stewart tried to pass.
Reed made his feelings known to Stewart and said that he could not expect any favours should the tables turn in Seattle this Saturday evening.
“I was disappointed with the move and I made sure James was aware of it, I am all for hard, fast racing but it was plain dangerous and I won’t let it happen again,” said Reed.
“It’s been good to have a week off and reassess what we need to do in these final three rounds.
“To win, we can’t afford to only finish second. I expect it will be a very tough few rounds but I am confident that I can withstand any pressure.
“To win a title on debut with Rockstar Makita Suzuki would be amazing, it would be a real reward to the team who have worked tirelessly alongside me all season.
“We’ll take it lap by lap from hereon in but make no mistake, will not be pushed around by anyone.”
The Australian leads the Supercross class standings by 5 points.
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Suzuki, 315
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 310
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 225
4. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 193
5. Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 193
6. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 193
7. Mike Alessi, Apple Valley, Calif., Suzuki, 185
8. Davi Millsaps, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 168
9. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 165
10. Josh Hill, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 146