News 24 Oct 2009

Oz SX: Yamaha narrowly misses Geelong Super X podium


Just one point has separated Yamaha Racing from a podium finish at the second round of the 2009 Monster Energy Super X series with Jay Marmont finishing fourth at Geelong’s Skilled Stadium today.

The result ended a dream run for the CDR Rockstar Yamaha outfit, who, between Marmont and his teamate Cheyne Boyd, have finished on the podium at each national level supercross and motocross race they have contested over the last 18 months.

Serco Yamaha’s Kyle Cunningham recorded his second consecutive podium finish in the Pro Lites class with the American the third to cross the finish line of the 15-lap race which was a warm up to the exciting Quad Challenge for the Pro Open category.

Yamaha Racing’s squad of riders will make the trip across Australia for the third round of the 2009 Monster Energy Super X Series which will take place at Perth’s Burswood Dome next Saturday.

Pro Open Report

It was a challenging day at the office for CDR Rockstar Yamaha with Jay Marmont and Cheyne Boyd forced to fight their way through the pack during the second round of the 2009 Monster Energy Super X Series in Geelong.

After winning the opening round of the series in Tasmania last weekend, Marmont started the weekend where he left off and took victory in his heat before progressing through the final leg of the Man on Man qualifying format to get the second gate pick for the first of this afternoon’s four motos.

After coming third in the opening six lap moto, Marmont and Boyd were involved in a massive turn one crash in the second race with the YZ450F rider fighting his way through the back to finish sixth.

The following moto did not get any better for the Wollongong-based rider with another fall on the opening lap resulting in a 15th place finish. Marmont recovered to claim fourth in the final moto and fourth for the round – he is now third in the 2009 Monster Energy Super X series.

“The day started good and I rode well in my heat and went head-to-head with Chad [Reed] during qualifying. He just beat me for the gate pick during the Man versus Man qualifying final and as we went into the races the day just fell apart,” Marmont said.

“I couldn’t win a trick during the four final races, I was third in the opening race and then had a fall at the first turn for the next two races. In the last race all I had to do was to finish one position higher and I would have had third for the round.

“It’s hard going from first to third in the championship but that’s racing and that makes me want to go come back next weekend and run up the front again,” Marmont concluded.

Boyd also struggled throughout the weekend and was 13th in the opening moto before recording a DNF in the second moto after he was hit by another bike which pierced the radiator of his YZ450F. The Victorian resorted to his spare bike and finished third in the third and fourth motos.

Pro Lites Report

Serco Yamaha’s Kyle Cunningham has recorded his second consecutive podium finish at the second round of the 2009 Monster Energy Super X series with the American finishing third in the Pro Lites Final at Geelong’s Skilled Stadium this afternoon.

Cunningham opened the round in a strong position, winning his heat and after recovering from a bad start to the 15 lap final he made his way from sixth to third during the course of the race.

“Everything was good, I got in the main and didn’t get the greatest start,” Cunningham said.

“I battled with some people for the first half of the race but by the time got into third, first and second got away on me but the main thing is that I ended up on the podium and hopefully next round can get a victory.

“I was consistent every lap, I didn’t really feel that great today, I did what I could and I got the bike up on the box again, hopefully I can get some better starts and get up there and battle with Moss next weekend in Perth.

Cunningham’s teammate Kirk Gibbs also had an encouraging weekend with the YZ250F rider second in his heat and placed as high as third before a fall at the half way mark of the final. The 21-year-old finished the race in sixth position.

Yamaha supported rider, Ryan Marmont also joined Cunningham on the podium in second position.