News 2 Nov 2010

Oz SX: Suzuki RACESAFE updates Launceston rider injuries

Suzuki RACESAFE has distributed an update on rider injuries from the Launceston round of the Monster Energy Super X, Australasian Supercross Championship, contested last Saturday night in Tasmania.

The Suzuki RACESAFE Medical crew consists of a team of Emergency Doctors, Orthopaedic Surgeons, Paramedics, Nurses and Physiotherapists that are all experts in motorcycle injuries. This highly skilled team of medical professionals, all donate their time as volunteers – to ensure that the biggest names at Monster Energy Super X have immediate specialised care at the track.

“The team always loves coming down to Launceston as the racing is great and the fans get right into it,” said Simon Maas, director of emergency services. “Add in the awesome USA vs Australia Challenge and it was yet another great Super X event.

“The Suzuki RACESAFE team did a brilliant job once again. The back to back weekend schedule of Super X provides a lot of challenges for us in keeping injured riders on their bikes from round to round. Even from as early as 11am right up to the start of the finals we are treating riders from just about every brand of bike.

“Again, the Sports Medicine Program showed its massive value with riders getting assistance from the physios and doctors at the RACESAFE truck. Without this expertise on hand, some guys simply would not make the gates each week. Not to forget the emergency staff who also did a great job out on track – at times treating riders whilst the field races past battling it out.

“It’s in these moments that it really shows the skill and expertise of the Suzuki RACESAFE team.”

A fast and furious Tasmanian track got the better of some with the following riders requiring assistance from the Suzuki RACESAFE Medical Team.

Junior competitor Blake Blackwell was the first rider brought into the Suzuki RACESAFE Mobile Medical unit on Saturday with a fractured wrist/arm. He was treated and assessed before being transported to Launceston General Hospital.

Other junior competitors, Luke Clout and Jacob Wright were also caught out by the tricky conditions. Both were treated by the RACESAFE doctors and were released to become spectators on the night.

English import Steven Clarke had a night to forget in the Lites. He was transported to the medical unit with pain in his knee. After treatment by the senior RACESAFE physio Jon Park, Steven was able to get back on the bike and continue his night of racing. He will undergo further assessments this week.

Lites competitor Dylan Petersen was transported from the track on the Polaris Ranger Medical Buggy with a suspected fractured right foot. After assessment and treatment by series chief medical officer, Dr. Dave Kingsbury, Petersen was also transported to Launceston General Hospital for X-rays.

Another injured rider from the tough battles of the Lites category was Michael Addison. He crashed heavily at turn three and was transported to the medical unit with concussion after being briefly knocked unconscious. Addision was stabilized and assessed by the RACESAFE doctors prior to be transferred to hospital for further observation.

Well known Lites rider Kade Mosig was brought in by the RACESAFE team with a nasty hand injury. Mosig showed great determination to get back out for the finals. Orthopaedic surgeon Dr. Antony Liddell went to work performing some minor surgery on Mosig’s hand in record time allowing Kade to make the start gates just in time. A further review of Mosig’s hand will occur between rounds.

Also requiring treatment was Suzuki rider Matt Moss after injuring his knee. With very little time available, the RACESAFE sports medicine team quickly assessed Matt’s knee to determine the best solution on the night.

In scenes similar to Tye Simmonds last season, the Suzuki RACESAFE doctors, lead by Dr. Greg Harris, quickly provided a safe solution of strapping and an injection to also get Moss back for the finals. The brilliant, but quick action helped Moss make another podium and keep his title defense alive.

Luke Styke crashed out of the Lites and suffered a heavy blow to his chest and ribs which resulted in him being brought to the RACESAFE truck. After review by Dr. Kingsbury, Styke was transferred to Launceston General Hospital for pre-cautionary scan and X-rays.

The Survival format of the Open Finals came to an early end for Dan McCoy. Dan crashed out heavily and the Suzuki RACESAFE crew quickly rushed to his aid. He was assisted from the track and then transported by Polaris Medical buggy to the medical unit with back pain.

After further investigation and treatment by the RACESAFE doctors, a battered and bruised McCoy was released with further treatment and assessment required this week prior to the NZ rounds.

As the Official Medical Team of 2010 Monster Energy Super X, the Suzuki RACESAFE Medical Team is proudly sponsored by Suzuki Australia, Mack Trucks, Motul, One Industries, Polaris, BOC Medical and Elastoplast Sport and supported by Motorcycling Australia.

Just like the rest of the SuperX teams, the Suzuki RACESAFE Medical Team packed up its specialised medical equipment on Saturday night ready for the flight across the Tasman. The Suzuki RACESAFE Medical Team will be on hand at both Auckland and Dunedin.

Thanks to assistance from Global Action Sports, Showfreight, Polaris NZ and St John Ambulance NZ, the riders of 2010 Super X will continue to have the normal high levels of expert medical support whilst in NZ for two exciting rounds.