Wet and treacherous conditions prevailed at round five of the Monster Energy Super X event in Dunedin tonight, with Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Josh Hansen taking victory.
Wet and treacherous conditions prevailed at round five of the Monster Energy Super X event in Dunedin tonight, allowing Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Josh Hansen to demonstrate his skill on the slippery track to win both motos in the Double Header final.
Hansen was the only rider to stay relatively clean as he claimed both holeshots and never looked back in the pair of 12 lap final races, pushing him further ahead of CDR Rockstar Yamaha’s Jay Marmont in the overall championship standings.
“That was a scary one, especially with points,” Hansen commented. “It was super wet, very muddy and a lot of lappers. Starts were really important and I had to be consistent and smart out there.
“It’s great to have the support I have behind me. Big thanks to everyone who has made it possible to be here and Troy Carroll from the Kawasaki Racing Team for all his help. This series is really cool and has been a lot of fun.”
JDR Motorex KTM’s Tye Simmonds rode the best he has all season to claim second in the first moto and third in the second after a great battle with Rockstar Motul Suzuki’s Jake Moss.
Moss made a great pass on Simmonds on the final corner of the second race to pip Simmonds at the post. Moss and Simmonds tied on round points with Moss claiming second on a count back.
“I just pushed hard the whole race and finally got the pass to pull it off,” Moss said. “Thanks to all of my family and sponsors for all of their ongoing support.”
For Simmonds, it was a season best and a first podium for KTM’s 350 SX-F.
“It was a tough night, but it was good fun racing in the mud,” the 18-year-old said. “It doesn’t rain much in Bourke so overall it was an awesome night. I really want to thank RACESAFE for helping me out.”
The first of two eight lap races in the Double Header final for the Lites was a nail biter with Rockstar Motul Suzuki’s Matt Moss and Raceline Pirelli Suzuki’s Steven Clarke engaging in a back and forth battle for the lead, with Clarke the eventual winner after overtaking Moss on the second last corner.
Championship leader PJ Larsen was third.
Moss had a dominant win in the second final with Larsen second and Kawasaki Racing Team Cool Air Conditioning’s Cody Mackie third.
The victory handed Moss the overall from Clark, while Larsen rounded out the podium.
Larsen still leads the championship, but is only four points ahead of Moss and JDR Motorex KTM’s Ryan Marmont is third.
The penultimate round of the championship will be held at Parramatta Stadium this Saturday, 27 November.
Monster Energy Super X, Australasian Supercross Championship
Dunedin, New Zealand – Round Five
Open Class Results
1. Josh HANSEN (Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki)
2. Jake MOSS (Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki)
3. Tye SIMMONDS (JDR Motorex KTM)
4. Jay MARMONT (CDR Rockstar Yamaha)
5. Cody COOPER (Rockstar Motul Suzuki)
6. Todd WATERS (Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda)
7. Justin MCDONALD (Honda)
8. Mason PHILLIPS (Fly Team Green Kawasaki)
9. Daniel REARDON (Cougar Bourbon Honda Thor Racing)
10. Daniel McCOY (Coastal KTM)
Open Class Standings
1. Josh HANSEN (Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki) 275
2. Jay MARMONT (CDR Rockstar Yamaha) 229
3. Jake MOSS (Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki) 194
4. Tye SIMMONDS (JDR Motorex KTM) 191
5. Daniel REARDON (Cougar Bourbon Honda Thor Racing) 162
6. Todd WATERS (Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda) 155
7. Daniel McCOY (Coastal KTM Motorex Team) 148
8. Mike ALESSI (JDR Motorex KTM) 127
9. Justin BRAYTON (Muscle Milk / Toyota JGRMX) 121
10. Lewis WOODS (Top Gear KTM) 112
Lites Class Results
1. Matt MOSS (Rockstar Motul Suzuki)
2. Steven CLARKE (Raceline Pirelli Suzuki)
3. P J LARSEN (JDR Motorex KTM)
4. Cody MACKIE (Kawasaki Racing Team Cool Air Conditioning)
5. Luke ARBON (Kawasaki Racing Team Cool Air Conditioning)
6. Ford DALE (Serco Yamaha)
7. Ryan MARMONT (JDR Motorex KTM)
8. Craig SMITH (Timaru Honda Fly Racing Castrol)
9. Kade MOSIG (Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda)
10. Luke STYKE (GTYR Rockstar Yamaha)
Lites Class Standings
1. P J LARSEN (JDR Motorex KTM) 252
2. Matt MOSS (Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki) 248
3. Ryan MARMONT (JDR Motorex KTM) 203
4. Cody MACKIE (Kawasaki Racing Team Cool Air Conditioning) 172
5. Steven CLARKE (Raceline Pirelli Suzuki) 154
6. Lawson BOPPING – Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 142
7. Ford DALE (Serco Yamaha) 133
8. Josh CACHIA (Coastal KTM MX Rad) 125
9. Luke STYKE (GTYR Rockstar Yamaha) 119
10. Robbie MARSHALL (Yamaha) 117